“Burke shows again that he’s not just a comic genius, but also a fine dramatic writer and storyteller.” – Booklist. “Prose both scabrous and poetic.” – Publishers Weekly. “Proust meets Chandler over a pint of Guinness.” – Spectator. “Among the most memorable books of the year, of any genre.” – Sunday Times. “A hardboiled delight.” – Guardian. “Imagine Donald Westlake and Richard Stark collaborating on a screwball noir.” – Kirkus Reviews. “A cross between Raymond Chandler and Flann O’Brien.” – John Banville.

Friday, July 5, 2013

1,000,000 Not Out

At some point in the next week or so, barring unforeseen and very peculiar developments, the page-view clicker at the top right of this page will turn over to 1,000,000. What happens to the page-view clicker at that point I really don’t know – I’d imagine it’ll reset to zero, and we’ll start all over again.
  Anyway, the numbers aren’t all that important in the grand scheme of things. Far more important is the number of terrific books and writers I’ve come across during the course of the last six years or so of Crime Always Pays; the friends I’ve made and the colleagues – reader, bloggers and writers alike – that I’ve met.
  It’s been an amazing experience. Crime Always Pays started off because I had a book to promote back in 2007 – THE BIG O, co-published with the tiny but perfectly formed publisher Hag’s Head – and we literally did not have a penny to spend on promotion. The plan was to piggy-back the terrific Irish crime writers who were emerging then – the likes of Tana French, Gene Kerrigan, Declan Hughes and Alex Barclay – all of whom were taking giant strides along a path laid down by John Connolly, Ken Bruen, Julie Parsons, Colin Bateman and Eoin McNamee. As it happened, the blog morphed into something entirely different for me, and has since – a couple of hiccups notwithstanding – developed a life of its own.
  Things have gone pretty well for me as a writer over the last six years. I have no idea of whether they’d have gone so well if I hadn’t been blogging, or if they might have gone a little better if I hadn’t had the blog as a distraction. One thing I do know is that I’d be far poorer in terms of people. For a certifiable curmudgeon and pathological loner such as myself, that’s a pretty big thing.
  So there you have it. If this is your first time here, or your one thousandth time here, you’re very welcome indeed. A heartfelt thanks to everyone who has made Crime Always Pays what it is simply by making the effort to check in once in a while to see what’s happening in Irish crime writing, and here’s to the next six years.
  Finally, for those of you curious as to what the very first post on Crime Always Pays was, clickety-click here

16 comments:

Gerard Brennan said...

Congrats on it all, man.

So it goes.

gb

Declan Burke said...

Much obliged, sir.

Michael Malone said...

Well done,Dec. And here's to the next million.(And may it translate to euros, if you're interested in that kind of thing.)

Declan Burke said...

Thanks kindly, Mick. Money? Me? Nah, I'll keep my fumbling fingers out of the till. Mainly because it's empty ...

Louise said...

Congrats Declan!! Not wanting to sound like something out of an online dating agency, but you meet some of the nicest people online!!

Dana King said...

Well don, sir. I guess those three regular readers can take some time to have their carpal tunnel treated now.

No better way to start a blog than with Vonnegut. Too bad it was an obituary. Of all writers, living or dead, I'd most like to have a conversation with, Vonnegut is Number One.

(Word verification for this post: Direland. Seems appropriate for a blog devoted to Irish crime fiction.)

Cora Harrison said...

I remember getting an email from my publisher in America at St Martin's Press, saying that an Irish Reporter wanted to put something about 'My Lady Judge' on his blog. That must have been about 2008 - I was quite thrilled.

And now it's five years later and I am editing 'My Lady Judge 10' and trying to writing number 11. Don't know whether I've come on in the world since then, but you certainly have done so, Declan. I wish you the best of luck.

Declan Burke said...

It does sound a little odd, Louise, but it's true nonetheless - you do meet the loveliest people online.

Declan Burke said...

Dana - I love Vonnegut, one of the great American writers of the 20th century. Who doesn't get the credit he deserves, I think, because he's so damn entertaining.

Declan Burke said...

Cora - I would gladly trade you my blog for your very fine novels. I'm on my way to Clare for the hand-off as you read this ...

seana graham said...

Do we get a prize if we're the millionth?

Just kidding.

Your blog is actually the reason I know about 90% of the people I do in the blogosphere. Whether that makes you a gateway or a gateway drug, I leave for you to decide.

I couldn't count how many terrific Irish crime novels you've introduced me to, not least of all yours.

Congratulations, and quite selfishly, I am glad you have gotten past those hiccups.

safety consultancy service said...

Wonderful website. Lots of useful information here. I’m sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks for your sweat!. I added it to my favorites blog list and will be checking back soon.

Kevin McCarthy said...

ditto to the safety consultancy guys above. thank you for your sweat, dec. and your blood and tears too! i'll be checking back soon!

seriously, congrats. yours and peter roz's blogs are the best (non table tennis) on the net. thanks for your sweat!

Declan Burke said...

Thanks kindly, Seana. A gateway drug, eh? I'm going to go ahead and take that as a compliment ...

Declan Burke said...

Cheers, Kev. I really do need to ramp up the table tennis aspect of this blog. It'll be first on the list when I get back from holidays ...

Peter Rozovsky said...

May you ring up many more zeroes. No one has done more to promote Irish crime fiction that you have, for which you deserve honors from your country.
===============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com