“Burke shows again that he’s not just a comic genius, but also a fine dramatic writer and storyteller.” – Booklist. “Prose both scabrous and poetic.” – Publishers Weekly. “Proust meets Chandler over a pint of Guinness.” – Spectator. “Among the most memorable books of the year, of any genre.” – Sunday Times. “A hardboiled delight.” – Guardian. “Imagine Donald Westlake and Richard Stark collaborating on a screwball noir.” – Kirkus Reviews. “A cross between Raymond Chandler and Flann O’Brien.” – John Banville.

Friday, September 27, 2013

A Former Editor Writes

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but there has been a tremendous boom in Irish crime fiction in the last couple of years. When I first started writing here about Irish crime, we’d be lucky to see two debut writers in a whole year. These days it’s not uncommon to find two writers making their debut in the same month.
  It’s not just about individual writers being published, either. By the end of 2013, the Irish Writers’ Centre will have run three dedicated crime writing courses. Trinity College will host Irish Crime Fiction: A Festival. Plans are afoot for an Irish crime writing festival next year. The Irish Book Awards will, yet again, include a Best Irish Crime Novel category. RTE radio is currently running a four-part documentary series called ‘Irish Noir’. And it’s become increasingly rare for an Irish literary festival not to include at least one panel on crime fiction.
  It’s terrific to see, and long may it continue.
  The downside for yours truly is that it has become increasingly difficult to keep up with all the new writers, the new books from more established writers, and all the various events and newsworthy items. In the grand scheme of things, that’s a wonderful development; in terms of this blog, which is a labour of love, it’s become almost impossible to do justice to them all.
  In fact, and as the more eagle-eyed among you will have noticed already, the coverage has been rather patchy of late. It’s been pretty busy lately here at CAP Towers, with work and my own writing, and I’ll be starting into a new book any day now. Rather than pretend that I’m providing any kind of decent service in terms of information about Irish crime writing, I’d much prefer to acknowledge that I can’t keep up, and bow out gracefully.
  This hasn’t been an easy decision to make, although to be fair it’s a decision a lack of time has made for me. I’ve met a host of wonderful people through this blog, and the goodwill has been terrific. Moreover, I have a special interest in Irish crime writing, and I know I’ll particularly miss writing about new Irish authors. Ultimately, however, with my time being squeezed on all sides, I simply need to be sensible and concede that I can’t do everything I’d like to do.
  I will be maintaining this blog for my own ends, of course, as it’s been a brilliant way of meeting other readers and writers over the years. I do hope you’ll stick around for the occasional news update, review or interview. Cheers, Declan

16 comments:

Prostitutes in London UK said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dana King said...

It's a sign of your increasing success. Here's an analogy using authors in a somewhat different context: at their early signings, they get to chat with readers, make few friends, and feel a connection. A few years go by and the crowds are such they only have to to sign and go on to the next person. It's leaving something behind, and that's a little sad, but the reasons are, over all, most excellent.

Dana King said...

You know, squire, several of your loyal readers may have been interested in what Prostitutes in London UK have to say. Not me, of course, and purely for research purposes.

Just sayin'.

Jane Casey said...

I think you're entitled - obliged, even - to write more of your own books and less about everyone else's! But thank you for introducing me to some wonderful books and go n-éirí leat.

Jelly Gamat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Declan Burke said...

Thanks kindly, Dana. I don't know about increasing success, but certainly I don't have as much time to spend on extra-curricular activities these days ...

Declan Burke said...

Delighted you came across some good books here, Jane. I hope one or two people discovered your own books in the same way.

Eileen Kavanagh said...

I'm a fan of the blog, but even more so of your books. So if leaving the blog means more books, then I'm all for it. But I must thank you for introducing me to so many Irish crime writers. Some are starting to get some notice here in the US, but there's still a gap. I don't remember how I found your blog (Jen Forbus maybe?), but have enjoyed it ever since. Thank you.

lil Gluckstern said...

Actually, I've enjoyed meeting so many new authors-Jane Casey is one of them. I will miss your writings, but I do hope to see some evidence of your work here. Maybe you could keep us posted.

Peter Rozovsky said...

You're the St. Patrick of Irish crime writing who cleared the Scandinavian snakes from my mental island and showed the true way of Irish crime fiction. Now, let's see a little self-promotion out of you.
=================================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

aman kesherwani said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
seana graham said...

Although I've learned not to take your intentions about this blog as gospel, I think as long as you post once in awhile about your own doings and maybe an occasional clickety-click here, we'll be happy.

Caroline Lambe said...

I'm sure this must be hard for you, Declan, but I really think it's a great step for you and your own writing. Any fan of Irish crime fiction owes you a debt for all the effort, energy, and encouragement you've given to others and their work, but it's your time now and you deserve so much to be pushing your own name and your own fantastic books. Best of luck!

Alan said...

Dear Mr.Burke,You'r reviews have been witty,insightful and that rarest of qualities FUN.They shall be missed and if this means more dedication to writing fine books more power to you.Alan New Mexico USA

Fiona said...

I'll miss the regular blogging, Dec, but thank you for the many new authors I've encountered via CAP as well as the insights into old favourites.

Joan O'Gorman said...

Hi Declan,
Thanks for all the introductions to Irish crime authors and events...
May crime will always pay for you!!
Happy and successful writing ahead.
Joan