“Burke shows again that he’s not just a comic genius, but also a fine dramatic writer and storyteller.” – Booklist. “Prose both scabrous and poetic.” – Publishers Weekly. “Proust meets Chandler over a pint of Guinness.” – Spectator. “Among the most memorable books of the year, of any genre.” – Sunday Times. “A hardboiled delight.” – Guardian. “Imagine Donald Westlake and Richard Stark collaborating on a screwball noir.” – Kirkus Reviews. “A cross between Raymond Chandler and Flann O’Brien.” – John Banville.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Best Things In Life Are Free … Books

Adrian McKinty is giving away signed copies of his forthcoming opus, FIFTY GRAND, which I’m pleased to say is a terrific novel, arguably his best, and a book you’ll be hearing a lot about in the coming year. If there’s any justice in this world, it’ll win prizes galore and they’ll need aircraft carriers to keep up with the demand. That’s a big ‘if’, I know, and every writer needs a slice of luck and good timing, but someone once said that luck is opportunity meeting preparation, and McKinty’s done the preparation, and then some. I don’t often say this kind of thing, but trust me when I tell you that FIFTY GRAND is among the finest novels I’ve read in the last five years. Not that my opinion generally counts for sweet bugger-all in these here parts, but I think I’m right on this one. Only time, that notoriously doity rat-fink canary, will tell …