“Declan Burke is his own genre. The Lammisters dazzles, beguiles and transcends. Virtuoso from start to finish.” – Eoin McNamee “This bourbon-smooth riot of jazz-age excess, high satire and Wodehouse flamboyance is a pitch-perfect bullseye of comic brilliance.” – Irish Independent Books of the Year 2019 “This rapid-fire novel deserves a place on any bookshelf that grants asylum to PG Wodehouse, Flann O’Brien or Kyril Bonfiglioli.” – Eoin Colfer, Guardian Best Books of the Year 2019 “The funniest book of the year.” – Sunday Independent “Declan Burke is one funny bastard. The Lammisters ... conducts a forensic analysis on the anatomy of a story.” – Liz Nugent “Burke’s exuberant prose takes centre stage … He plays with language like a jazz soloist stretching the boundaries of musical theory.” – Totally Dublin “A mega-meta smorgasbord of inventive language ... linguistic verve not just on every page but every line.Irish Times “Above all, The Lammisters gives the impression of a writer enjoying himself. And so, dear reader, should you.” – Sunday Times “A triumph of absurdity, which burlesques the literary canon from Shakespeare, Pope and Austen to Flann O’Brien … The Lammisters is very clever indeed.” – The Guardian

Saturday, June 21, 2008

One Of These Kids Is Doing His Own Thing …


There’s no good reason for republishing this pic from Bristol Crime Fest (l-r: Maxine, Rhian, Karen, El Cheesalero – with Ms Witch lurking with intent, no doubt, just out of picture) except to say that three of the four crime fiction bloggers are superb exponents of what they do, which is to let the world at large know about quality crime fiction writing for no reward but the joy of doing so, while the fourth is only in it for the money. If you’re in the market for insightful, illuminating conversations about contemporary crime writing, click on Petrona, It’s A Crime! and Euro Crime. Oh, and while you’re about it, click on Crime Scraps, whose host – the inimitable Norm – was behind the camera for this epoch-defining snap. He reckons he’s shy, but your secret is safe with us, Salman. Now, the Big Question: can we persuade Peter Rozovsky and Gerard Brennan to make it to Crime Fest 2009? Only time, that notorious tittle-tattler, will tell …

11 comments:

Kerrie said...

I can't work out why everybody looks so different to what I expected :-(
I envy you all meeting up at Crime Fest

Anonymous said...

I know why I'm not in there! I refused to wear those silly evacuee thingies you lot are sporting. Do you think they can do something elegant and grown up next time?

Anonymous said...

I commented as such in their survey, BookW, they were exceptionally silly, I agree.

Anonymous said...

I commented as such in their survey, BookW, they were exceptionally silly, I agree.

Declan Burke said...

I don't know, I thought they looked a bit FBI. Which wouldn't make them not exceptionally silly, I know. But I didn't mind them. Cheers, Dec

Declan Burke said...

Oh, and Kerrie? I'd take paradise over Bristol any day ... Cheers, Dec

Uriah Robinson said...

Now I know why my Virgin Media broadband has been dysfunctional all day. I thought the Richard Branson balloon had sprung a leak, but it was so you could breach copyright and post my photos! ;o)

Only kidding Declan you're welcome and a top man after that Irish vote to abandon the Eurovision song contest.
You are right about the superb insight of the ladies who blog. Sorry I missed Ms Witch in the photo.

And I have no intention of attending an identification parade in Teheran under any circumstances.

Gerard Brennan said...

Well, I'm persuaded! And I've got a year to convince my missus that it's a good idea too.

gb

Anonymous said...

Even the FBI look cooler than that. And they have guns.

And Maxine, I mentioned it in the survey, too. Maybe next time it'll be something unbelievably fetching.

Josh Schrank said...

I must say Dec... the sight of you holding a "Rainy Day Bear" shopping bag brought a twitch of a smile to my face. It is always refreshing to find people who are that secure in themselves. ;)

Peter Rozovsky said...

OK, what time should I show up?
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/