“Burke shows again that he’s not just a comic genius, but also a fine dramatic writer and storyteller.” – Booklist. “Prose both scabrous and poetic.” – Publishers Weekly. “Proust meets Chandler over a pint of Guinness.” – Spectator. “Among the most memorable books of the year, of any genre.” – Sunday Times. “A hardboiled delight.” – Guardian. “Imagine Donald Westlake and Richard Stark collaborating on a screwball noir.” – Kirkus Reviews. “A cross between Raymond Chandler and Flann O’Brien.” – John Banville.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

2 comments:

Maxine said...

I often find it hard to find a one- or two-word "shorthand" to describe a book. I haven't read "Tenderwire" but the dilemma reminds me of Stef Penney's "Tenderness of Wolves" -- could you call that crime fiction? It is a murder investigation in one way, but is mainly about literal and metaphorical journeys. Another example is one I read over Christmas, "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield -- I had no idea that there was going to be a crime in it and a mystery to solve -- but there was, as we discover about 3/4 of the way in. Does this make it crime fiction? I have never heard this book described thus, but it could be.....it would not be wrong to do so, I think.
Personally, I find the adjective "literary" somewhat pretentious in describing books (or blogs, etc). I don't see a problem with calling something a mystery, thriller, crime or detective story, if that's what it is even if only in part.

Runescape Gold said...

thanks a lot for sharing. i was looking for something like that.